Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:31:01 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      negotiation example
Comments: To: SRW <[log in to unmask]>

in http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw1-1/extra-data-example.html Can we add a flag where the client says either "must be one of these" or "if you can't support any of these select another one". (Yes I realize it's just an example but I think this would make it a more useful example.) Then, when the server doesn't support the extension this would function more naturally. Where it says: "It is recommended to include a recordSchema parameter for cases when the server does not support this extension." It could instead say: "In the event where, if the server cannot support any schemas in the list then the client wishes the server to select an alternative schema, it is recommended to omit the recordSchema parameter (thus if the server does not support the extension, non-support will be transparent). In the event where, if the server cannot support any schemas in the list then the client does not want the server to select an alternative schema, it is recommended to include recordSchema parameter (similarly, if the server does not support the extension, non-support will be transparent)." --Ray