Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2003 05:57:35 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Eliot Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      base-url includes "?"
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

At 12:57 AM 12/20/2003 +0100, Theo van Veen wrote: >Allthough it's a minor thing I would like the "?" being part of what we >call the base-url. >The reason for this is services can take (private) parameters as part of >the base-url. >IMO the SRU URL should be base-url + request rather than base-url + >?request. It >allows for example to use the database name as a parameter as part of the >base-url. >Anyway it gives more freedom to how the server is implemented and I don't >think at >interferes with other things. I agree very strongly with Theo's point. I think this is common practice, used for example in OpenGIS Consortium services such as Web Mapping Service http://www.opengis.org/docs/01-068r3.pdf: 6.2.2 HTTP GET An Online Resource URL intended for HTTP GET requests is in fact only a URL prefix to which additional parameters are appended in order to construct a valid Operation request. A URL prefix is defined as an opaque string including the protocol, hostname, optional port number, path, a question mark '? ', and, optionally, one or more server-specific parameters ending in an ampersand '& '. The prefix uniquely identifies the particular service instance. A client appends the necessary request parameters as name/ value pairs in the form "name= value&". The resulting URL shall be valid according to the HTTP Common Gateway Interface standard [CGI], which mandates the presence of '? ' before the sequence of query parameters and the '& ' between each parameter. The URL prefix shall end in either a '? ' (in the absence of additional server-specific parameters) or a '& '. In practice, however, Clients should be prepared to add a necessary trailing '? ' or '& ' before appending the Operation parameters defined in this specification in order to construct a valid request URL. Eliot