Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:15:55 +1100
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Alan Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Attribute lists for queries - what are people doing?
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:27:40PM +0000, Robert Sanderson wrote: > > Finally, exact, any, and all are interesting cases. There is no 'any' > > in Bib-1 (unless I have an old printout). 'all' I guess is 'word list'. > > For any, I turn the clause into a tree of OR clauses in bib1, AND clauses > for all. Yes, this isn't quite correct, as the client will likely have > different 'word' extraction to the server. Exact I use 2=3,5=100,6=3. While debatable, there are advantages. If dealing with an existing Bib-1 system, it won't support the new pattern match form at present. It also wont support 'any' and 'all'. So it sounds like the best practical solution available at present is: For Bib-1: If a word based term (using 'all' and 'any' not '=' or 'exact') Split terms based on whitespace Add first-in-field if '^' at start Add left/right/both truncation if '*' at start/end/both Error on anything more complex (could try a regexp format) else Leave term as single string and do the above '^' etc rules end-if For AA (if trying not to do it better than Bib-1 above): Wait for any/all to be fixed in the standard Wait for new CQL regexp to be added (if not added already) Add CQL regexp attribute if query contains any of '^', '*', '?', and '\' For Bib-1, there are a couple of regexp formats for Bib-1 that could be tried, but cross translation of patterns from one format to another can be tricky to get right and not necessarily portable. I almost wonder if CQL should say for 'all' and 'any' that terms are white space separated. If you say 'book-case' and the system indexes it as two words, then treat as a phase query (adjacent words). This seems to be what all the existing implementations do, so I wonder if the spec should be changed to make it compatible. Alan