Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:13:31 -0700
Sender:       "SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors"
From:         Erik Hetzner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: New draft of Record Update
Comments: To: "SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors" <[log in to unmask]>

At Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:00:22 -0400, "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > > A new draft of the Record Update protocol has been developed by the SRU > Editorial Board. > http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/record-update > > Please review and comment by October 12. Hello all, I know that I am a bit late to this game, but given the great uptake of SRU (as opposed to the SOAP based SRW), could somebody explain to me what this solves that could not be solved with pure HTTP? This is an almost classic problem for: a) URIs that define a unique record, and perhaps a particular version of that record. b) the HTTP verbs define the operations: PUT (replace in this proposal), POST (create), DELETE (delete). c) the HTTP response codes define a great number of possible statuses, including success (200), failure (4xx), delayed (202 Accepted), etc. d) other response information, if required and it is not possible to fit into the HTTP headers, can be wrapped around the srw:record element. A solution of this sort seems to me to be simpler and easier to implement, especially for those who have currently implemented SRU but not SRW. Best, Erik Hetzner -- Erik Hetzner California Digital Library 510-987-0884