Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:09:32 +0100
Sender:       "SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors"
From:         Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: New draft of Record Update
Comments: To: "SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors" <[log in to unmask]>

Ross Singer writes: > Could APP not just be extended and namespace to meet your need? > > At least then, even if, yes, we're using some niche namespace for > the specific functionality you mention here, it's built on a > foundation that isn't so /totally/ library specific that others > could pick it up and use it on top of their existing systems (or, > at the mininum, the parts they support). Hi, Ross. Out of interest, what makes you describe SRU as "library specific"? I ask because that was a perception that we explicitly wanted to get away from in moving from Z39.50 to SRU, and it's a bit dispiriting to see how totally we failed :-) _/|_ ___________________________________________________________________ /o ) \/ Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]> http://www.miketaylor.org.uk )_v__/\ "Arboreality does not correlate with pelvis shape" is an interesting conclusion, but it's hard to get a paper of more than seven words out of it.