Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:03:37 -0000
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Matthew Dovey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: SOAP packet content questions
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Personally I thought we had simplified things quite a lot already but... > Question 1: What is SRW? Should I be saying that instead of ZNG? Search/Retrieve for the Web. Ray wants ZNG or rather ZiNG to refer to the umbrella of project looking at new ways of doing Z39.50 like things (so SOAP, ZOOM etc.) > Question 2: Why are Bib-1 diagnostics in the WSDL file? Why not > make it a bit more human friendly and just include a string description. > Reduces learning curve etc. Lets face - most of the time if something > goes wrong you just want to say why. Just because we are now using XML it doesn't change the fact that in many cases it wo'n't be a human reading the XML directly but a machine process which may need to take some action on discovering a certain error. String only values for diagnostics could easily lead to different implementations returning different string messages for the same error (or class of error). In any case the diagnostic structure in the WSDL includes a diagnostic code (number) and a diagnostic message (string) so meets both cases (human processing the XML and machine processing the XML). > Question 3: Is there a list of responseSchema values people are > actually using? What is the current thinking here? Not yet. There was some discussion that we needed to pass back the original query etc. in the returned XML. This has also resurfaced a few times on this list. I disagree on the KISS principle and because most clients will know what they sent anyway. However, there is meant to be a schema as an extension to the current one which does include this. The idea here is that a XML browser could just do an XSLT tranform to display the results. I don't think that this schema exists yet. > Question 4: Is record schema the same as record syntax? Or different? Not quite. In traditional Z39.50 we appear to have mixed up record syntax and record schema. I would argue that ISO 2709 (Binary Marc) and XML are record syntaxes, whilst MARC21, UKMARC are schemas/flavours of ISO2709, and METS, ONIX etc. are schema/flavours of XML. In SRW, we only use one record syntax namely XML, but need to support different XML schemas. However, in practice this does the same thing as the record syntax specification in Z39.50. > Question 5: In order to simplify things, is it worth dropping all > diagnostics codes, additional information, etc and using SOAP > fault codes instead (ie standard SOAP mechanism). You only get one > error per packet, but is this a problem in practice? Possibly. This does raise the question on how surrogate diagnostics are handled. In the current form I used the same structure for both non-surrogate and surrogate diagnostics (again KISS principle). Matthew