Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:36:41 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      visibility for ZING
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry, it seems I've dropped out-of-the picture for a month (or so). I'd like to follow-up belatedly on the things I promised a while back -- to try to formalize ZNG (somewhat) and give it some visibility. Please give me comments on these ideas. Soon as I get some feedback I'll get started. First, I'll put up a web page for ZING, with pointers to the two current components: SRW and ZOOM. (I won't be doing anything with ZOOM. Mike will maintain that.) If someone wants to design a logo, send it to me. (I've searched for the logo we saw in the bar but I can't find it. If I find it, I'll steal it. I don't think they'd care.) For SRW, I would like to maintain a list of implementors, a list of servers, specifications, and an issues list, for starters (what else?) 1. Implementor information: name, organization, what your implementing, description, other interesting information. 2. Server information: host, port, response schemas, record schemas. What else? 3. Specifications. Should I try to maintain the "definitive" specifications here, or are they not stable enough? 4. Issues list. I've looked through the discussion over the past few weeks and listed a number of suggestions that I've seen for consideration as enhancements or changes. - session-id - server to include the query (or the whole url) in the response - Database names - Should the response always be via soap, even when the request is a url? - Diagnostics. (use human friendly,string description, rather than bib-1 diagostics.) - return SUTRS - Record number - Format for DC - Prefixes - Allow url-parmeters that are not defined -Allow extra (even unsollicited) responses - Stylesheet url in the request (so that server can put this it in the XML-header, so that it can be used by browser automatically.) -separate field and terms - the "I'm still dreaming" issue, which may break down into several issues: How "exposed" should the parameters be? In a soap envelope? In a URL? - Record structure - metadata sets Let me know which are valid/interesting suggestions/issues, which aren't, and what others are there. When we come up with a list, we'll add some description, and then I'll put it up. --Ray