Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:42:51 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      What should we return?
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

It's true that it would be nicer if the SOAP toolkit picked apart the response for me. But, we would lose the extensibility that the thin client folks want. These days, I'm inclined to do things both ways. How about defining two footprints for our searchRetrieve method in the WSDL? One footprint does not have a responseSchema in the request and returns an object of type SearchResponse. The other footprint does have a responseSchema in the request and returns a String. The WSDL provided by any particular site would specify which, if not both, of these methods was supported by the site. So, this should not mandate implementation of both methods if the developer thinks the overhead is too great. How is this for a compromise? Matthew, could you recraft the WSDL to support this? Ralph