Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:11:31 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: record numbers
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Definitley a good idea to add to the extension list. I'm still very much in favor of the current very thin interface, but have no problems on agreeing on a set of extensions for another response schema. Ralph -----Original Message----- From: Theo van Veen [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 6:08 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: record numbers The way SRW will be used is probably not only by gateways but also by ordinary web-pages with local stylesheets. That happens to be the way I am testing our server. In such cases it is extremely usefull when the client does not have to keep session context between succeeding pages. It makes the interaction between client and server much more robust and simple. One of the tags that would be convenient in this respect is a record number at each record. In a previous mail I also mentioned the possibility of having the original query as part of the session context. In our implementation we also return unkown url-parameters as xml-tags in the container-tag <unknown>. This allows applications (in fact these applications are simple web-pages) to create their own session context without adding complexity to the server and at the same it serves as some kind of diagnostic for faulty parameter names. Theo