Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2003 19:11:46 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: SRW/SRU and Metasearch products
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Ok let me ask my question another way. First, is there one of the documents that formalizes the metasearch model? (Appologies if there is one but I can't find it.) I'm assuming it's an extension of the client/server model with an intermediary in the middle, the "metasearcher", so the model is client/metasearcher/server(s), where the metasearcher is a server to the end-client and acts as multiple clients to multiple end-servers. (This is a model we've attempted to formalize in Z39.50 but never could.) And if so, then there is a search protocol between end-client and metasearcher, and a protocol between metasearcher and end-servers. And these are not necessarily the same protocol. Are there names for these in the model, like "metasearch" protocol and "access" protocol? (I'm asking out of ignorance; surely there's a model somewhere that I've overlooked.) For the metaseach protocol, clearly the multi-database issue is important, and for the access protocol it's not. (Does this make sense or am I missing the big picture?) Which protocol are we considering when we talk about SRW in this model? One or the other or both? My reading leads me to think to me it's the metasearch protocol, so I'm inclined to think we should reconsider the database issue for SRW (which is a different view from my earlier posting now as I've re-thought this). I also think we should start looking at the Z39.50 dedup service, since significant intellectual resources went into it, and nobody has implemented it, since it's really a metaseach function. --Ray