Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2003 22:23:10 +0200
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Sebastian Hammer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: SRW/SRU and Metasearch products
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>,

At 13:30 22-05-2003 -0400, Larry E. Dixson wrote: >It wasn't clear to me if, after discussions, this break-out group was as >enthusiastic about SRW/SRU as this quote, in a paper prepared >before the meeting, would indicate. However, perhaps Sebastian has some >thoughts about that. I think "enthusiastic" would be an awfully strong word. Although we really didn't get as far as recommending specific technologies, I would say that I sensed three distinct schools of thought among the members of the search options group: a) SRW has most of what's needed, and since it harkens from Z39.50, it has a good NISO pedigree -- it can be used if the SRW "community" is open to a discussion about the specific requirements posed by the content vendors. b) Let's roll a new IR protocol. c) Let the content providers provide access to their content in any old way they please, but let's recommend that they use web services technology and clearly document their interface. Because the chairman of the group believed that SRW would be a good option, I think we were leaning slightly in that direction, but it's not a sure thing. It's important to remember that this is a very different crowd of people from your usual library interop folks... the content vendors are just now grudgingly accepting the need for some form of standardisation in the area because they find that the vast increase in popularity of metasearch solutions over the past 18 months is negatively affecting the performance of their systems.. but they don't necessarily come from a culture steeped in open IR ideas. The metasearch people, on the other hand, already have to search in all kinds of different systems, some of which support Z39.50, but many of which don't.. in some cases, brutal "screen-scraping" of HTML-based user interfaces is the only way forward, and pretty much *any* protocol is going to seem like a vast improvement over that... Z39.50, SRW, SRU, XQuery subsets --- they all just become different back-ends in cross-searching systems that, by design, are not picky about how they get hold of their data... the reality is that the business case for pushing hard for a single IR standard is reduced in that context... the users who're paying for the party and hoping for maximum interoperability may feel different, but I think they were a little under-represented at the NISO workshop. --Sebastian -- Sebastian Hammer, Index Data <http://www.indexdata.dk/> Ph: +45 3341 0100, Fax: +45 3341 0101