Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:40:28 +0100
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Acronyms
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: cc: [log in to unmask]

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Mike Taylor wrote: >> Say I have the string: >> "XML in a Nutshell" >> and I have a system that knows XML --> Extensible Markup Language >> If a user searches for "Markup Language" then I should return a hit? > > Yuck! This seems like just the find of feature that drives me crazy. > I would hate to use a server that did this kind of thing without being > explicitly asked to. Right. I agree. See also Eliot's comments re DC indexes vs DC schema. >>> Does this generalise? i.e. would a modifier for equivalents work >>> here for both cases >> Looks good to me. cql.equivalent ? > I think that's _one_ of the things you'd want. But it's very much in > the same line to want to be able to search for "dinosaur" and find > records that contains "tyrannosaurus". > fruitbat.equivalent > fruitbat.broader > fruitbat.narrower > and maybe others, such as fruitbat.related. > BTW., I am not claiming that "fruitbat" is necessarily the _very_ best > of all possible names for this putative new set. I think you're being overly modest here, when what you actually should be saying is: I am claiming that zthes is actually the right place for this new stuff as it already deals with thesauri. Right? Rob ,'/:. Dr Robert Sanderson ([log in to unmask]) ,'-/::::. http://www.o-r-g.org/~azaroth/ ,'--/::(@)::. Special Collections and Archives, extension 3142 ,'---/::::::::::. University of Liverpool ____/:::::::::::::. L5R Shop: http://www.cardsnotwords.com/ I L L U M I N A T I