Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:09:11 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      sort: well-known keys
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Robert Sanderson wrote: > > > I'll support his alternative proposal. > > I don't completely understand the proposal. I understand the part about loading > > the sort-key names with the auxiliary parameters, but what are the names? > > Well-known sort-key names? > > Up to the server to support or not as it chooses. Eg a server can > interpret a request to sort by 'Title' in any way it choses, but you would > expect that if there is a title field or index then it would sort by that. Sorry I'm still confused. Yes of course it's up to the server to interpret and support or not-support the sort key. My question is are we going to distinguish a list of well-known sort keys? A client might ask to sort on author and the server might understand "authour" but not "author". So if we just say the client can supply any sort key it likes and hope the server understands, I don't think that's going to work well. I'm further confused by the discussion, on the one hand, to load sort parameters into the sort-keys, resulting in potentially highly structures sort keys, and on the other hand to just use magic keys. --Ray