Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:48:35 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: result set position
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Yes, at least I do. We can come to some sort agreement on the structure and content of the surrogate to fix your bad feelings. But I like have the placeholder. It makes life much simpler when records are going away dynamically. Ralph > -----Original Message----- > From: Ray Denenberg [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 2:33 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: result set position > > > "LeVan,Ralph" wrote: > > > Why not a surrogate diagnostic in the middle of the > records? I like them. > > It's caused complexity for Z39.50 particularly in the ASN.1. > I suspect it > would cause similar complexity in the XML. You have a > sequence of records, > each is a "response record" which is either a "retrieval record" or a > "surrogate diagnostic". The retrieval record is accompanied > by a record > syntax (for srw, a record schema) and the surrogate > diagnostic has its own > funny format. > > Do we want this in srw? > > --Ray >