Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:59:09 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Do we agree with the current service description?
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Matthew Dovey wrote: > My original WSDL had 0 as the default rather than server decides - also -1 to > mean all. (I'm not too bothered either way but this is a change from where we > were) There are three "special cases": 1. no records 2. server decides 3. all the records And three "special values": 1. -1 2. zero 3. omit the parameter But do we really need a special case for "all the records"? It would only apply on the initial query (after that the client knows how many there are). So on the initial query, let the client supply a very large number for maximumRecords. Then it seems to me that zero is the natural value for "zero records" and I would prefer "omit the parameter" over "-1" for "server decides". > > Omit result set position in the response. We don't need it and it makes > > us > > look stupid. "Hi, I just ask for record #10. Could you tell me what > > record > > I just asked for?" > > This was originally added by request from someone in the SRU camp to aid XSLT > transforms. Well I've taken it out so if anyone wants it please speak up. --Ray