Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:27:20 -0500
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Mark Needleman - DRA <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: is session id included in susequent request?
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Ray this seems to be a case of Reference Id in reverse and could be handled the same way - if supplied by the server it must be returned by the client? mark On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Ray Denenberg wrote: > The session id details seem mostly clear but > there's one area I'm not clear about. > > When the server assigns a session id, does the > client then include that id in subsequent requests > within that session? > > I assumed yes, but I inferred from Rob (K) that it > wasn't necessary. Maybe I mis-understood. > > Assuming so: If the client doesn't support (or > care about) sessions, it won't include the session > id. And (I think we've decided) the client isn't > going to request that a session id be assigned, > the server will do that unilaterally. So when the > server gets a request without a session id, it > will assume a new session, and will assign a new > session id, which the client won't use, etc. So > the server will assign a bunch of session ids that > won't be used. Is that a problem? (In terms of > wasted resources.) > > --Ray >