Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:57:22 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Betr.: SessionID Summary
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

Having the server determine when to return a sessionID is fine by me. If the client isn't interested in sessions, then it can ignore that information. Pica can issue a sessionID after authentication and control the number of users that way or they can provide a separate service to get the sessionID. Once we've specified one way to get a sessionID (automatically from the server) and explained how it is used in subsequent requests, then other ways to get sessionIDs become someone elses problem. I agree that sessionIDs and resultSetNames are independent. The use of sessionIDs is not mandatory. The use of resultSetNames is. Ralph > -----Original Message----- > From: Theo van Veen [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 4:09 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Betr.: SessionID Summary > > > Instead of bidding (I suppose it is requesting for it) for a > sessionid, I prefer the server just sends it when it requires > one. When the client requested it, it will either get one or > not, and when it did not request one, the server will > probably send it unsollicited, so what is the benefit of > requesting it? > The way the client gets it first sessionid will depend on the > servers requierements: it may require authentication first or > it will just provide one (just for its onw benefit). In case > of authentication (but possibly also in the other case) the > sessionid will have an encrypted content that is inderstood > by both the server and the mechanisme that provided it, but > not by the client. The client will only echo it back to the > server without any interpretation. > > In response to Ray. I prefer sessionid's and resultsetid's to > be independent of each other, but the server is of course > free to make the sessionid part of the resultsetid. > > Theo > > > >>> [log in to unmask] 18-06-02 17:29 >>> > Here's where I think we are: > > Sessions have been deemed valuable. I dislike the security > arguments, but > am persuaded by Pica's requirement to throttle the number of > active users. > Pica's proposal was for a ticket from another service to be > used. I don't > like that, because the use of the ticket will be mandatory > (at least at > Pica) and will need to be documented as part of SRW for SRW > clients to be > able to talk to Pica. That causes me to want the session > mechanism to be > built into SRW. Since Pica intends to be an SRU implementor > (speak up Rob > or Janifer if I've mispoken!) then the session mechanism > can't reside in > SOAP headers. It must either be in the SRW/SRU message or in cookies. > Personally, I like the cookie solution, but doubt that we can > require their > use at all the places where sessions are needed. So, the > client bids for a > sessionID in a request and gets one (probably with a TTL > (Time To Live) > value like resultSetID's). The sessionID will be used in subsequent > responses. (It would be polite if the server ignored the bid > if it was > accompanied by a sessionID. I envision web forms with the > bid as a static > hidden field that comes in on all requests, as the client > might not know if > this was the first request or not.) > > Is this close? > > Ralph >