Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:46:54 -0400
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: result set model for srw
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

1) Immutable means unchangeable. 2) Yes. 3) If it is not a legally binding contract, then it is only a hint. The server can kill it whenever it wants. If the server runs out of resources, something has to go. If the server crashes, something will probably go. Ralph > -----Original Message----- > From: Ray Denenberg [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 10:11 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: result set model for srw > > > Ralph -- > (1) what does "immutable" mean? > (2) do you still feel that the result set id should be > assigned by the server? > (3) is the ttl just a "hint" or is it stronger than that? I > infered from one of > Matthew's messages that he thinks that a server is morally > bound to keep the > result set available for at least approximately the ttl > period (and of course > morally bound doesn't mean legally bound). > > --Ray > > "LeVan,Ralph" wrote: > > > I have no problem with saying that a result set name must > always be returned > > and must be immutable (that's a Java word!) It doesn't need to be > > persistent and the server will give a hint as to how long > it will remain. I > > think we must be compliant with the current z39.50 model > which says that a > > result set is a surrogate for an ordered set of records. > > > > Ralph > > >