Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:22:03 +0100
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Theo van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Betr.: Unsolicited response data (Re: British Library Test SRU
              Service)
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I expect that this extension will be in the future be used quite often for sru clients, so lets keep the sru parameter name/value short, e.g -x=ok. The main reason for my expectation is that this extension allows servers and users to communicate with each other without being restricted by the limited capabilities of static clients. I anticipate clients that can be adapted by the user to fit the users needs based on what a server may have to offer. Theo >>> [log in to unmask] 03-01-2005 17:06 >>> > I know that Rob has already addressed these points, but it really > can't be said too many times. SRW/U implementations simply may not do > this. They're just not allowed. It's not an implementation-level > decision, but a protocol-level one. Hold on. There are good reasons (in some situations) for a server not to send unsolicited data, and good reasons (in some situations) to do so, as Rob and Bill respectively have pointed out. I noted when this discussion came up before that I would define an extension "permission to send unsolicited data" and everyone seemed comfortable with this approach. To this end I have defined this extension, listed at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw/extra-data.html#infoURI info:srw/extension/1/will-accept-any-extra-data So if a client is prepared to accept unsolicited extra data it includes this extension in the request. If it doesn't include it, then the rules disallowing unrequested extra data prevail. --Ray