Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:05:20 GMT
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Adlib Base profile
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]
              (message from Dr Robert Sanderson on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:33:41
              +0000)

[snip, snip, snip] > Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:33:41 +0000 > From: Dr Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]> > > > That's a good argument indeed. I'll try not to whine anymore ;-) > > It's all good :) As EA says, Challenge Everything. Agreed. I think that we are now 90% of the way to a _really_ good Adlib profile that both fulfils the needs of the Adlib community and exemplifies SRW/U best practice leading to the broadest possibility interoperability with non-Adlib SRW/U implementations. I take my hat off to both Hedzer and Rob for both the good taste they have exhibited throughout, and also for their sheer stamina :-) I _think_ the one remaining issue may be that of which context set the proposed new allUnderlyingIndexesIncludingThoseNotOtherwiseVisible index belongs. It could go in the "adlib" context set because that what's it been invented for, but I think it has much wider applicability and so probably belongs in the "cql" set described at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/cql/context-sets/cql.html The difficulties will be choosing the new index's name, and crafting the prose such that it makes a very clear distinction between the serverChoice, anywhere and allUnderlyingIndexesIncludingBlahBlahBlah indexes. _/|_ _______________________________________________________________ /o ) \/ Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]> http://www.miketaylor.org.uk )_v__/\ "Oh no, you mustn't do that ... They BREED in sewers, and then you get huge swarms of evil-smelling twelve-foot tall killer-budgies coming at you out of the drains!" -- Monty Python's Flying Circus. -- Listen to free demos of soundtrack music for film, TV and radio http://www.pipedreaming.org.uk/soundtrack/