Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main METS pageJoin or leave METSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:29:46 +1000
Sender:       Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard
From:         Bronwyn Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: PREMIS and METS amdSec
Comments: To: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

I also vote for option 1 and I agree with everything Tobias Steinke says. Bronwyn Lee Newspaper Digitisation Project National Library of Australia [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steinke, Tobias Sent: Thursday, 12 July 2007 4:52 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [METS] PREMIS and METS amdSec I would vote for alternative 1 (Use premis:object in techMD, premis:event in digiProv, premis:rights in rightsMD). We did this the same way with LMER (http://www.d-nb.de/standards/pdf/lmer12_e.pdf) in the METS-Profile "Universal Object Format" (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/profiles/00000011.html). If you put PREMIS in one METS section only, the main advantage of using METS is lost: A clear semantically structure of metadata. The different sections of METS are meant to be independent of concrete schemas. A clear logical distinction of descriptive, administrative, technical and provenance metadata is what it's all about. Your option 1 would change the proven structure in favor of one schema. Maybe there will be other reasons in the future to put descriptive and technical metadata in the same element because MODS or an other schema will be enhanced with technical information. If you want to use PREMIS and METS together, PREMIS should be used in a way to fit in METS as it is. But I think it would be essential to give an "official" recommendation on how to do this, because this would be the first step to an universal exchange format for digital preservation. Best regards, Tobias -- Tobias Steinke Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Informationstechnik Adickesallee 1 D-60322 Frankfurt am Main Telefon: +49-69-1525-1762 Telefax: +49-69-1525-1799 mailto:[log in to unmask] http://www.d-nb.de