Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002)Back to main METS pageJoin or leave METSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:55:55 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard
From:         Jerome McDonough <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [METS] Réf. : Re: [METS] Application
Comments: To: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

At 11:46 AM 2/21/2002 +0100, you wrote: >I understand METS is a good standard to diffuse data with other digital >library. >But it may also be use as preservation format and consultation format. It's >confortable to use only one model for all, isn't it ? Yes it is. >Actually, i'm in enquiry phase. That's why i want to know if someone else >(with >the same preoccupation than us) use it? and for what ? > In addition to a transfer syntax, we're planning on two additional uses at NYU: 1. preservation format -- By using METS' ability to encode data files within the METS file, we can put an entire object in one big wrapper. There are certain technical efficiencies in doing this for extremely large objects that SDSC noted in their research for the National Archives and Record Administration. There's also the peace of mind knowing that the whole object, metadata included, is in one nice tidy bundle; for me, it's like knowing I've still got a *.tar.gz file of source code sitting around somewhere if I screw up the code while editing it. 2. Information Retrieval system -- as we play around with Oracle 8i for text retrieval and boolean searching for complex DL objects, I can't say we're being overly impressed with its performance. Since I come more for an information retrieval background than a database background, I'm interested in using the DB as a metadata capture system (it does have benefits there), and then exporting METS files from the database to be indexed/searched. I'm betting we can get significantly better retrieval speed, as well as better implementations of facilities like ranked searching, using IR tools in place of a database. We are also trying to explore a cooperative project with another university in which we'll make METS metadata available through an OAI interface; that's basically just an example of the transfer syntax use of METS though. Jerome McDonough Digital Library Development Team Leader Elmer Bobst Library, New York University 70 Washington Square South, 8th Floor New York, NY 10012 jerome.mcdonough@nyu.edu [log in to unmask] (212) 998-2425