Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001)Back to main METS pageJoin or leave METSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2001 06:35:16 -0700
Sender:       Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard
From:         Rick Beaubien <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: METS change proposal for September meeting
Comments: To: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

I am rereading the METS postings in preparation for next weeks meeting, and realized that I should have responded to MacKenzie's proposal here long ago. Based on my current, albeit tentative, understanding of xlink, I don't feel that adopting xlink syntax for external links in fLocat, mptr and mdRef elements would pose a big MOA2 to METS migration problem for Berkeley. Unless I'm really missing something--only too possible--it doesn't look any more difficult to me than some of the other migration issues. Besides, Berkeley's migration issues shouldn't be wagging the dog; the general and long-term aptness of the choices is most important. From a tool developer's standpoint, I can see some potential advantages to using the xlink defined attributes for all external pointers, especially if these were expanded to include xlink:title and xlink:label attributes. To be continued next week... Rick At 05:00 PM 08/13/2001 -0400, you wrote: >Hi all, > >Below is a write up of a possible change to the METS schema that I would >like to discuss at the meeting in September. It's change to the >linking elements that we (Harvard) would like, but which has some big >side effects so it warrants discussion. It's a long posting, so if you >don't care about linking elements in METS (and many won't) then you can >hit delete now. Thanks, > >MacKenzie/ > >************************************************************************* >PROPOSED METS CHANGE FOR LINKING ELEMENTS > >There are three external linking elements in the current METS schema: >mdRef, FLocat, mptr. The first is in the DescMD section, and points >to an external location for relevant descriptive metadata. The second >is in the FileGrp (i.e. inventory) section, and points to a component >file of the METS digital object. The third is in the StructMap >section, and points to an external parent or child METS file. > >mdRef and FLocat are defined similarly: uncontrolled, string-type >elements with a required LOCTYPE attribute indicating the type of >pointer (URN, URL, DOI, etc.). > >mptr was originally defined differently -- as an empty element using the >new xlink syntax for its attributes. These included: >xlink:type - the XLink type, in this case, simple. >xlink:href - the URI for the resource. >xlink:role - a machine-readable description of the role of the resource > identified by the XLink. The following convention has been > established for describing the roles of METS resources: > "container" - indicates a resource which > can be abstractly considered to > contain this object, as in the map > example. > "content" - indicates a subsidiary resource > contained by this object > "related" - indicates a resource for which neither > container nor contained provides an > an adequate description of the > relationship to the current object > >In the last round of changes the mptr definition was changed to be >like that of mdRef and FLocat elements. This was done to improve the >schema's consistency -- in general, a good thing. > >But in looking forward to new uses of METS, and to new communities of >METS users, we wonder if making these elements follow the original >FLocat model isn't the wrong direction -- maybe changing all three to >the xlink model would be better? Here are a few reasons: > >1. xlink is a W3C recommendation and is becoming the standard for > linking syntax in XML documents. In the future, METS users who are > familiar with XML will expect to use xlink syntax for links. > >2. other DTD/schema standards in the digital library community use the > xlink sytnax, namely EAD and TEI. > >3. xlink offers the possibility of better link functionality in the > future, supporting things like bi-directional and out-of-line > links. While nothing would stop a METS developer from supporting > this functionality with the current uncontrolled syntax, it > wouldn't be possible to take advantage of new tools supporting > xlink as they become available. > >The main problem with changing the mdRef and FLocat elements to use >xlink is the MOA2 -> METS migration. I know this would be a big issue >for Berkeley, and an immediate question is who else else has made use >of these two elements? And how difficult would it be to migrate these >elements to a new xlink-based syntax if such a migration is needed >anyway? > >Finally, are there any compensating advantages to the uncontrolled >text definitions that these linking elements have now? Any good >reasons _not_ to go with the xlink syntax? > >If we're going to suffer migration pain to adopt a more standardized >way of handling links, now is the time. But we shouldn't impose >unnecessary pain either. Hopefully we can reach some sort of decision >on this in September. > >_____________________________________________________________________________ >MacKenzie Smith [log in to unmask] >Digital Library Program Manager phone: (617)495-3724 >Office for Information Systems fax: (617)495-0491 >Harvard University Library %\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\% >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > ----------------------------------------------------- Rick Beaubien Software Engineer: Research and Development Library Systems Office Rm 386 Doe Library University of California Berkeley, CA 94720-6000 510-643-9776