Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002)Back to main METS pageJoin or leave METSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:10:43 -0700
Sender:       Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard
From:         Merrilee Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: METS Header
Comments: To: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Clay, Maybe you could elaborate on what interoperability you have in mind that would utilize the agent element? I think in developing METS, priority needs to be allocated to real-life needs and applications, and not building structure that won't be utilized in the near future. This is not meant to put a damper on discussion, but will help me, and perhaps others, understand what you have in mind. It's Friday, and I'm unimaginative. Thanks, Merrilee At 09:02 PM 7/18/2002 -0400, you wrote: >Jerome, > >My thinking is as follows: > >As the agent element exists currently, users have two choices in >designating roles with regard to the METS document: > >1) stretch their local vocabulary to fit the implied semantics of the >ROLE attribute, resulting from and in decreased flexibility. >or >2) make use of the OTHERROLE attribute > >Given use of the OTHERROLE attribute, applications could either >1)ignore it, resulting in decreased functionality >2)deal with it on a local basis, resulting in decreased interoperability. > > >I think that a pointer to or wrapper for an XML schema could retain >flexibility, functionality, and interoperability given (borrowing some >semantic web ideas here) >1) registration of the schema and >2) appropriate XSL transformations to allow conversion between schemas. > > >That said, I apologize if I am butting in here with concerns that are not >in keeping with the momentum of the group. Could someone orient me? > >Clay Templeton >MLS Student >College of Information Studies >University of Maryland, College Park > > > > > >On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Jerome McDonough wrote: > > > I think the list of agent roles could benefit both from elaboration > > and addition, but it's relatively low on the list of things to > > do at the moment. And the METS editorial board chair currently > > being under quarantine for chickenpox isn't speeding things > > I'm afraid. :/ > > > > I'm afraid I have to disagree on the notion that extension > > schema enhance interoperability. Extension schema provide > > for flexibility in local practice, while retaining compatibility > > (read standardization) in the rest of the METS document format. > > To the extent we all agree on using one extension schema for > > a particular purpose, interoperability is enhanced, but frankly > > if the agreement is universal it would probably be best to > > make such an extension part of the primary schema. Extension > > schema were developed to handle those cases where the original > > METS community couldn't come to immediate agreement on issues. > > > > So, I'm somewhat reluctant to add new spots for extension schema, > > particularly when we haven't had any discussion to determine > > whether we need one (that is, whether there's widespread disagreement > > on agent roles). Clay, do have particular roles in mind > > that you think are lacking and should be added? > > > > > Might the enumeration of roles in the agent element of the METS header > > > benefit from a little elaboration? They are fairly intuitive, but > > > is it > > > useful to provide a list of options if they are not clearly > > > defined? Why > > > not just allow institutions to develop their own lists? This is > > > currentlypossible through the use of the "OTHERROLE" attribute, > > > but from the > > > standpoint of interoperability might be more productively > > > accomadated by > > > allowing for an extension schema. > > > > > > Clay Templeton > > > MLS Student > > > College of Information Science > > > University of Maryland > > > > >