Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:40:53 -0400
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Heidi Hoerman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Effective use of practice work -- late addition to an old
              conversation
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Back in July you all were talking about practice work in teaching beginning cataloging -- I was watching shorebirds migrate in the Bay of Funday at the time -- so sorry about being late to catch up and put my two cents in. Cent #1: Yes, it's a shame we cannot get student access to the Desktop at a reasonable price. For those of us who teach at a distance and have students doing their work in multiple states, it becomes even more of a hassle. We have no such thing as a "single site" in which to have our users. Cent #2: I'm in the third (I think) round of teaching AACR2-based cataloging using electronic chat and it is great! In fact, I think students learn AACR2 better through this medium than any other method I've used in the past 13 years of teaching cataloging. I'd rather teach 68 students to catalog using chat than 15 in a classroom. Seriously. Of course, it is exhausting. But, hey, it works! If anyone wants to ask about how I do this, let me know. Heidi (And THANK YOU for setting up this list, C.O.F.!!)