Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:22:40 -0600
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Janet Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Effective use of practice work -- late addition to an old
              conversation
Comments: To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
          education & training <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

Heidi, I would be interested to learn how it works. In fact: -- as a practitioner who hires catalogers, (and who has a long-standing interest in education from that perspective), rather than as an educator, -- as an empoyer in the wilds of Colorado, far from multiple major population centers, and far from most LIS programs .... I am coming close to being convinced that distance education may be the last best hope for salvation for making decent cataloging education available across the country. If this is the case, than I have a vested interest in its effectiveness. And: -- as a rabble-rouser and agitator, -- as someone involved in ALA governance who MIGHT have an opportunity to "put in a good word," or press for actions, -- as someone who writes and speaks at the drop of a hat (or invitation) ... I'd like to be as well-informed as I possibly can, so as not to be spouting misinformation or misconceptions, and I'd like to be in a position to be a champion for effective, appropriate education for cataloging and the organization of information. SOOOOOO ..... If any of you who are giving classes in cataloging or bibliographic control by distance education would be willing, I would love to have the opportunity to "eavesdrop" on your classes -- chats, and whatnot. Last year I was on an accreditation visiting panel and silently "eavesdropped" on a number of different online distance courses, and found the experience most enlightening, and heartening. This year I am doing a 2-week stint as a "visiting interlocutor" for a course in bibliographic control. The particular discussion I'm working with is on "career choices." That's just started, so it's hard to draw conclusions yet. (there must be some useful term for this role -- it's not "visiting lecturer" or even "guest lecturer," and "visiting expert" doesn't sound right either. "online consultant?" ... No. "Online mentor?" No, it's not that personal or sustained a relationship. Hmmmmm. In any case, if anyone is willing to let me learn more about how your courses work, by letting me eavesdrop, I'd love to talk about it with you. I'd promise to behave myself, and abide by whatever strictures you might feel it necessary to make. janet Janet Swan Hill Associate Director for Technical Services University of Colorado Libraries CB184 Boulder, CO 80309 [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Heidi Hoerman Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 5:41 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Effective use of practice work -- late addition to an old conversation Back in July you all were talking about practice work in teaching beginning cataloging -- I was watching shorebirds migrate in the Bay of Funday at the time -- so sorry about being late to catch up and put my two cents in. Cent #1: Yes, it's a shame we cannot get student access to the Desktop at a reasonable price. For those of us who teach at a distance and have students doing their work in multiple states, it becomes even more of a hassle. We have no such thing as a "single site" in which to have our users. Cent #2: I'm in the third (I think) round of teaching AACR2-based cataloging using electronic chat and it is great! In fact, I think students learn AACR2 better through this medium than any other method I've used in the past 13 years of teaching cataloging. I'd rather teach 68 students to catalog using chat than 15 in a classroom. Seriously. Of course, it is exhausting. But, hey, it works! If anyone wants to ask about how I do this, let me know. Heidi (And THANK YOU for setting up this list, C.O.F.!!)