Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:30:35 -0700
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Web Clearinghouse for Metadata Materials
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Heidi and All-- As a kerfluffler on Jesse, I heartily endorse the ethical statement. I'd also add the suggestion that there be a mechanism to post variations/comment on the materials--So, if I would be sharing my most excellent OCLC derived search key exercise, Heidi could submit her variation of it and it would be posted next to the original. (All in a FRBR-like display of related works, of course ...) Then maybe there could be a message area that would allow posting of snippets of experience: "I've found the world's most clever derived search problem"--or "watch out--students tend to misinterpret this aspect of the assignment!" I realize that kind of functionality might not be possible for a first version of the clearinghouse site, but I think it could open the possibility of continuous improvement/update on the posted materials. Creating good cataloging/metadata materials is so very time-consuming that the idea of a space where we could communally work toward a set of "best practice" exercises (particularly on key topics) is very attractive. Very few cataloging assignments have reached near-universal, iconic status (I've met no cataloger who cannot recall "Eighteenth-century Swedish devotional poetry" as a DDC problem--but what was the answer to that one???), but I think that there are a few areas where a reliable, shared body of educational experiences could benefit students moving into the profession and those who provide their on-the-job training afterwards. Cheryl > >THE ETHICAL ONE: > >My questions have more to do with ethical questions than with >organization of the site itself. Part of this arises from concerns >about self-preservation and part from watching the recent kefluffle >on JESSE about using the teaching materials of another. > >[clipped] >I suggest we draft a short statement of what is or is not ethical >use of this material. For example, many of us must place >information representing evaluation of our teaching in our review >files. Certainly use of our teaching materials by a colleague at >another institution represents affirmation of our performance in >this area. What about a simple ethical statement like "It is >expected that those who use materials linked to this website, either >verbatim or as a model for their own materials, will notify the >original author of the materials." A simple email would do the >trick. Those who needed more for their files could ask the user of >the information for something on letterhead or whatever. > >Another guideline may expect that we cite our sources for teaching >materials of this type just as we cite the sources of quotes we use >from the published literature. > -- Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala Adjunct Assistant Professor LEEP program, Graduate School of Library and Information Science University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask] The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.