Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:26:51 -0400
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce C Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Web Clearinghouse for Metadata Materials
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message----- From: Koh, Gertrude Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 7:13 PM To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training Cc: Koh, Gertrude Subject: RE: -----Original Message----- From: Koh, Gertrude Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 7:13 PM To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training Cc: Koh, Gertrude Subject: RE: Web Clearinghouse for Metadata Materials Olivia (and other Educatters), Thank you for asking for the input. Indeed, this is a promising activity! I believe that this is an excellent beginning point for a web clearinghouse for metadata materials that Anita has developed. Congratulations, Anita! In addition, I look forward to Marcia's work on Metadata Basics Package in near future. Here is my initial "wish-list" to your excellent work on a web clearinghouse for metadata materials. I would like to see more attention given to the new developments, new experiments, examples, newly emerging issues, etc. Can we provide a "What's New" section, for instance? I would like to see the expansion of and the refinement to the "alternative metadata schema." If the "alternative metadata schema" is retained as one section, I would like to see it, at least, with a prominent emphasis given equally to the traditional methods (AACR/MARC, subject headings, library classification schema). The only place I see these "alternative metadata schema" are stated, for example, is under the item 10 in the Background Notes, i.e., in the third URL you have provided. Thank you, again. Gertrude S. Koh Professor Graduate School of Library and Information Science Dominican University 7900 West Division Street River Forest, IL 60305-1066 Olivia (and other Educatters), Thank you for asking for the input. Indeed, this is a promising activity! I believe that this is an excellent beginning point for a web clearinghouse for metadata materials that Anita has developed. Congratulations, Anita! In addition, I look forward to Marcia's work on Metadata Basics Package in near future. Here is my initial "wish-list" to your excellent work on a web clearinghouse for metadata materials. I would like to see more attention given to the new developments, new experiments, examples, newly emerging issues, etc. Can we provide a "What's New" section, for instance? I would like to see the expansion of and the refinement to the "alternative metadata schema." If the "alternative metadata schema" is retained as one section, I would like to see it, at least, with a prominent emphasis given equally to the traditional methods (AACR/MARC, subject headings, library classification schema). The only place I see these "alternative metadata schema" are stated, for example, is under the item 10 in the Background Notes, i.e., in the third URL you have provided. Thank you, again. Gertrude S. Koh Professor Graduate School of Library and Information Science Dominican University 7900 West Division Street River Forest, IL 60305-1066