Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:41:23 -0700
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Heidi Hoerman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Call for participation: Technical Services Ed. SIG
Comments: To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
          education & training <[log in to unmask]>

I agree with Hope O. We really do as a profession need to come to grips with what we need as core. I think part of the problem is coming up first with a definition of "the profession" for which we are developing the list. As the definition of what we are educating for becomes more diffuse so does our concept of what is central. At the University of South Carolina, we have a core course in technical services that includes cataloging. Students get a basic introduction but not very much as we cover cataloging in about 3 weeks. How do I justify that as a dyed-in-the-wool cataloger and as the sole full time faculty member in tech services here? Well, I think it's very important that students not only understand info organization but also info selection, acquisition/licensing, preservation, etc. I wish we had time in the curriculum to address cataloging in depth for all students. I wish we had more time to address information organization. At this stage of the game we already have 1/2 of the 36 hours required core. What do we give up to spend more time on information organization? We reviewed our core a couple years ago and are still committed to all it contains. Anyway, we do have a variety of related electives including an in-depth descriptive cataloging course, a subject analysis & classification course, one of the few courses around solely on serials, and so on. Heidi HEIDI LEE HOERMAN SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC 29205 PHONE: (803) 777-0485, (800) 277-2035 FAX: (803) 777-7938 EMAIL: [log in to unmask] (preferred) [log in to unmask] (second choice) URL: http://www.libsci.sc.edu/hoerman/basepage.htm