Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:13:07 -0500
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Bloss, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Call for participation: Technical Services Ed. SIG
Comments: To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
          education & training <[log in to unmask]>

Similarly at Dominican University. And for us, "Organization of Information" is one of the core (required) courses. We have also been working on developing career pathways where a package of courses is suggested for students interested in focusing on Cataloging/Tech Services. Dr. Gertrude Koh, professor in Dominican's GSLIS, has developed three such sample pathways, listing suggested related cataloging/technical services courses for these packages. A small committee of us is further developing the document so we are not yet "ready for prime time." I know this is expanding the thread a bit but I was wondering if others of you are doing something similar in developing a career pathway of courses for Cataloging/Tech Services, and would be willing to share your thoughts. Cordially, Marjorie Marjorie E. Bloss, Visiting Instructor Graduate School of Library & Information Science Dominican University 7900 West Division Street River Forest, IL 60305 708-524-6468 (voice) 708-524-6657 (fax) [log in to unmask] ________________________________ From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training on behalf of Hur-Li Lee Sent: Wed 9/15/2004 10:04 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Call for participation: Technical Services Ed. SIG It depends on what you meant by a cataloging course. If you meant broadly a course covering the characteristics of bibliographic info, cataloging principles (as part of general principles of info organization), components of a catalog record (and other bibliographic records), tools used in cataloging (e.g., bibliographic standards, encoding standards, controlled vocabularies), and classification theory, then, yes, we do have such a required course at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. After all, many faculty members and students refer to this course (Organization of Information) as a "cataloging" course. Hur-Li Lee