Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:32:04 -0500
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Anaclare Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: AACR2 Availability
Comments: To: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
          education & training <[log in to unmask]>

One of my students just purchased AACR2 2002 with updates from Amazon.com within the last week. She said there were still several copies available. For an extra cost she had it shipped overnight and had it with her in class on Tuesday evening. Our bookstore had a good stock of copies in time for the beginning of the semester--but we did place our request in August for January. Anaclare F. Evans, Ph.D. Library and Information Science Program 106 Kresge Library Wayne State University Detroit MI 48202 313-577-4002 (v) 313-577-7563 (f) [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lois M. Chan Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:16 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: AACR2 Availability Last time I checked, AACR2 (2002 with updates), both new and used, was still available on amazon.com and ebay.com. Anyone ordering from these sources should double-check the edition; many copies of old editions are also advertised. At 12:24 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote: >To avoid cluttering the list with individual replies, let me thank all of >you for the sympathy. In some perverse way I'm happy to know my students >are not alone and that ALA Editions is not responding to the obvious >seasonal trend in their sales. We are clearly not appreciated as a >reliable customer base for AACR2. > >We do indeed have Cataloger's Desktop, though nowhere near enough >simultaneous uses to replace requiring the paper textbook. And since we >share the subscription with the library, we don't have full control over >it and things go wrong. In the past three months we've had a subscription >lapse and (worse) a later technical glitch on LC's side that claimed our >subscription was cancelled for *three weeks.* I can't feel warm fuzzies >about its reliability for teaching. > >All in all, I prefer the paper AACR2 as a teaching tool, because the >students can physically manipulate it, and mark it up to appropriate it >for their own use. I think it "studies" better on the dining room table >with a notepad and hot cup of tea, no computer mediation needed. Some >students who bought their copies used from other students were pleased >that the copies came "pre-dog-eared" with handy post-its and flags. (The >student who had the dumb e-mail from ALA Editions cancelled the order and >quickly bought and received a used copy from a fellow student.) >-- >Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala >Adjunct Assistant Professor >LEEP Program, Graduate School of Library and Information Science >University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign > >[log in to unmask] >[log in to unmask] > >The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS. Lois M. Chan, Professor School of Library and Information Science 502 King Library University of Kentucky Lexington, KY 40506-0039 Telephone: 1-859-257-5942 Fax: 1-859-257-4205