Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004)Back to main EDUCAT pageJoin or leave EDUCATReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:11:21 -0400
Sender:       Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
              education & training <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Diane Baden <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      New subscribers
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

The EDUCAT list has seen a flurry of new subscribers, thanks to a write-up in the latest issue of the LC Cataloging Newsline. While the list is somewhat quiet right now due to the end of the academic year, I would like to update the new arrivals on the topics we have been addressing, and encourage you all to participate actively in the discussion. Our primary focus has been the following: 1) How do we integrate the teaching of metadata topics into the traditional cataloging curriculum, so LIS students will be equipped to handle Web resources and digital collections? 2) What are the appropriate levels of expertise in cataloging and metadata for LIS students - we have been using the framework of Ingrid Hsieh Yee's report, at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/bibcontrol/CatalogingandMetadataEducation.pdf which outlines what should be taught to all LIS students, to those wanting to become catalogers, and to those interested in digital project management. 3) We hope to provide a forum here for dialogue between the communities of LIS educators and library practitioners and trainers around the issue of preparing catalogers with skills for the new formats in library collections. Please concentrate on topics around cataloging education, rather than cataloging itself - we have the wonderful AUTOCAT list for questions about the art of cataloging. Diane Diane Baden Associate Director NELINET, Inc. 153 Cordaville Rd. Southborough, MA 01772 (508) 597-1931 (direct line) (800) 635-4638 ext. 1931 (New England) (508) 460-9455 (fax) [log in to unmask] http://www.nelinet.net