Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:33:25 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Foster Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: language: comments please
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>,

Empty element that carries only attributes is common and allowed in XML. You could use the language element to supply/specify the langtype and/or lang attribute (code or name) in Language element, and then use the lang attribute (code or name) for other elements when needed. Am I correct on this? Foster Zhang =============================================== Systems Department (650) 725-7924 Green Library East, 2nd Fl.(650) 723-3038 (fax) Stanford University [log in to unmask] Stanford, CA 94305-6069 library.stanford.edu -----Original Message----- From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ray Denenberg Sent: 2002?12?17?(???) 8:02 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [MODS] language: comments please Rick Beaubien wrote: > Given that the MODS language element supports both ISO 639-2 and RFC3066, I > feel that any provision for language attributes should as well, just for > the sake of consistency. However, to make the authority explicit and to > avoid having two parallel language attributes to contain the language > value, you might want to consider defining a language attribute group that > included both a LANG and LANGTYPE attributes along the lines of the > following: > > <xsd:attributeGroup name="LANGUAGE"> > <xsd:attribute name="LANG" type="xsd:string" use="optional"/> > <xsd:attribute name="LANGTYPE" use="optional"> > <xsd:simpleType> > <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string"> > <xsd:enumeration value="RFC3066"/> > <xsd:enumeration value="ISO639-2b"/> > </xsd:restriction> > </xsd:simpleType> > </xsd:attribute> > </xsd:attributeGroup> > > Such handling would, I think, be most consistent with the current language > element. Rick -- Thanks for the suggestion. We've had quite a bit of discussion here and we agree with this approach. But we have a couple concerns (and would like to know if other people see these as problems). First, to really be consistent we would need to represent language consistently as an attribute as opposed to an element (in fact we'd have to do that to use the above approach). An attribute on an element is the appropriate way to represent the language of the element. However, language is itself currently an element (not an attribute), as it represents the language of the item. So we propose to represent the language element as an element where the element content is not signficant (may be empty), where language and language type are both represented as attributes. That way it can use the attribute group as suggested. This may seem a bit of a cludge but I think the benefits of this approach (the consistency that's gained) outweigh the slight clumsiness. Secondly, this approach represents language type as an attribute qualifying language, itself an attribute. (It seems like a cludge to allow an attribute on an attribute.) If nobody else is bothered by this then I suppose we aren't. --Ray