Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:23:11 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Foster Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: language: comments please
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>,

My thoughts for the penny. It would be the best if: 1. any language code standards (ISO, National, or local defined by the application system) should be allowed in a XML based format 2. the language code standards that is being used for the collection should be clear communicated inside of the XML document (reference site, for example) do not limit what the code standards user can have with MODS, but tell people how to declare the standard used inside a XML document. How: 1. to utilize the language type attribute in the language element to define the language code standards 2. by default, any language attribute used for other elements should follow the code standard defined in the language element. For example, if we have a Japanese language code JPN in the language element and the language type is ISO 639-2, the rest of the lang attribute should all use the same code standard by that type definition for the same XML document for other languages. 3. any language code standards used (local, national, or international) should have it declared in XML Prologue section. for example: xmlns:ISO639-2="http://xml.coverpages.org/iso639-2a.html" ## just a example Last but not least: we should allow people to use name of the language instead of code in MODS, because we will have collection that is generated from people not in library science background, and the name of the language is much more understandable by regular users who without access to the standards. Foster Zhang =============================================== Systems Department (650) 725-7924 Green Library East, 2nd Fl.(650) 723-3038 (fax) Stanford University [log in to unmask] Stanford, CA 94305-6069 library.stanford.edu