Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:28:56 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Purposes of MODS (was: Title element and subtitles)
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

At 04:08 PM 12/3/2002 -0500, you wrote: >Karen keeps asking this question about what MODS is for and I'll try again >to answer it. Rebecca, thank you for your clear and complete answer. I think if we keep in mind that MODS is experimental we'll actually do more interesting development than if we think of it as a "standard" in the traditional sense. Given its experimental nature, though, would it make sense to encourage people to add elements to MODS that they need in their own situations and share the results with the community? This would require an open-source-like environment where everyone can contribute "code" to the structure. It might turn out to be messy, but it might also provide us with some interesting new ideas. Perhaps one of our more XML-enabled colleagues could provide a mechanism to carry "provisional MODS" fields in records. This may be too complicated, but I like the idea of getting to try out metadata before it gets "standardized." ************************* Karen Coyle [log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net