Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:31:23 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Foster Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Title element and subtitles (typo corrected)
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>,

I agree that subtitle is very useful for search and retrieval, it can be identified by many ways instead of creating a new element called subtitle. For example, there is nothing wrong to put subtitle in an additional title element, or use of ISBD punctuation, so the software knows where to pick it up for double index. Most of us are coming from library background and familiar with MARC and AACR2 so that we can request more for bibliographic information related requirements into MODS. However, think about if we need to add digital contents which could be sound, images, 3D that also will have some very specific needs for descriptive data. We need to balance and make MODS simple enough yet useful for all kind of the contents. I agree with most of you that we need to define what MODS is for, if it is to mimic MARC standard, we probably better look for something else for generic descriptive metadata object standards. Foster Zhang ps. the discussion on listserv should always be personal opinion, if it is representing my employer's view, I will state so. =============================================== Systems Department (650) 725-7924 Green Library East, 2nd Fl.(650) 723-3038 (fax) Stanford University [log in to unmask] Stanford, CA 94305-6069 library.stanford.edu -----Original Message----- From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Roy Tennant Sent: 2002?12?3?(???) 11:10 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [MODS] Title element and subtitles On the title/subtitle issue I invoke the first rule of granularity (stated here for the first time): More is better. That is, I don't think I've ever regretted chopping up my metadata into too many pieces, but I have frequently regretted not doing so. The main problem I see is that use of a subtitle field is basically unenforceable, and will therefore undoubtedly lead to uneven application. If I cannot be assured that all records with which I must deal use the subtitle field whenever appropriate, then I will be unable to consistently treat the subtitle differently than the title (e.g., place below the title in smaller type, etc.), which will in some cases render the separate field moot. But having said all that, I would still be in favor of a subtitle field, since without the capability of identifying the subtitle we will render impossible some display and processing options. Roy Tennant