Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:26:48 -0600
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Marc Truitt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: alternate personal names in MODS?
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

Bruce and James, Actually, I think 'sensible' is a better descriptor than 'arcane'. I have no illusions that I can explain it more clearly than has Barbara Tillett in her posting, but perhaps this may help... Think of it from a database design perspective. If you view books and persons who have some responsibility for them ('authors', for brevity's sake) as database objects, of which object (the book or the author) is the name 'Mark Twain' more properly an attribute? The book _Tom Sawyer_ or the person who also has the name 'Samuel Clemens'? The 'arcane cataloguing practice' of authority control is designed so that the reader needn't know under what name Clemens wrote _Tom Sawyer_ (or any other of his numerous works). If you regard the name as an attribute of the work, then you would either have to append every known variant name to each of his work objects or else you would have to settle for knowing in advance which variant name went with which work object, would you not? Happy Thanksgiving, - mt Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > > James, I've brought this up a number of times over the last year or two, > and technicaly, no, there is no support for alternate names, and it's a > touchy subject here because of what I'd call arcane cataloguing > practices that have influenced MODS (and now MADS). > > Aside: I had an interesting conversation over lunch at the Access 2005 > about this with a few librarians and an archivist. I was explaining it > made no sense to me that in the 21st century library cataloguing > practices (and the XML formats that serve them) still focus on names. > Names, put simply, do not do anything, and are simply labels for more > fundmental objects. People author books. > > Anyway, the interesting part of the conversation was the archivist > explaining that their catloguing practices are different, and that they > indeeed tend to focus more on the objects (people, organizations, etc.). > > Bruce -- ************************************************************************* Marc Truitt Assistant Dean for Systems Voice : 713-743-8979 University of Houston Libraries e-mail : [log in to unmask] 114 University Libraries fax : 713-743-9811 Houston, TX 77204-2000 cell : 713-201-0351 You'll see green alligators and long-necked geese, Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees, Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born, You're never gonna see no unicorns. -- Shel Silverstein *************************************************************************