Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:10:13 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         James Howison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      alternate personal names in MODS?
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

I have a number of colleagues who have alternate names that they use along with their full names, some of them use these alternate names when publishing. For example: Ping Zhang and Na (Lina) Li (2005). The intellectual development of human-computer interaction research: A critical assessment of the MIS literature (1990–2002). Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), 6(11):227–292. My colleague's family name is Na and her given name is Li, she prefers the Chinese form of family-name, last-name and thus uses her full name contracted to Lina as one in the west would one's first name, while retaining the individual elements for official documents. Because she is known by this name she wishes to have it used in publications. I imagine that similar situations abound. (Say, if Lina ever comes across this email archived somewhere, hi Lina!, hope you don't mind me using your article as an example ;) I had a look at the userguide: http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-userguide-elements.html could it be a type of termsOfAddress? Doesn't seem right. Any ideas? I searched for information in the regular citation style places but not very hard, so if there is a recommended way of coping with this I'd be more than happy to be referred to the appropriate guidelines. Thanks,