Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:26:23 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: series and collections?
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

In developing MODS we considered series a type of related item and being part of a collection another type of relationship. We thought they had different characteristics, although some things in common. Being part of a collection is indeed relatedItem type="host". That terminology came from the MARC field for Host Item Entry (which is this same relationship; an isPartOf parent/child relationship). I guess the terminology is a bit confusing since we keep having to explain it. Rebecca On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > On Sep 24, 2004, at 10:38 AM, Karen Coyle wrote: > > > Bruce, if you keep thinking like this you're going to turn into a > > cataloger -- you might not want that. > > :-) > > > A series is a serial, so if you do a record for a series you code it as > > a serial. An archival collection isn't "serial" in that sense it's a > > finite unit. > > OK, and my point that series and collection could both thought of as > belonging to a more abstract class of relatedItem? > > It just seems to me that "host" is appropriate here, but series is not > (because that information should be captured within the relatedItem). > > Bruce >