Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:47:50 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      MODS Holdings Proposal
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

LC has prepared a proposal for support of holdings information within a MODS record: http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-holdings.html The basic approach is to incorporate holdings information into the MODS <location> element. There have been recent proposals to use a MODS <extension> element for holdings information. This is not an interoperable approach; however, there really hasn't been any alternative, since the top-level extension element has been the only available hook to extensibility. The new proposal is intended to provide some basic holdings elements for interoperability as well as extensibility of holdings information for more detailed information.We think that these earlier proposals can be retrofit to the proposed hook within <location>. We welcome comments and discussion on our proposed approach. --Ray Denenberg