Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2003 15:53:19 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Citation details
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Karen Coyle wrote: > At 09:49 AM 5/9/2003 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: >> I wonder if another analog is different expressions (in the language >> of >> the FRBR, which I'm only just learning about) of the same work. Can >> MODS account for this with its related item element? Could one have a >> record for a Beethoven Symphony as an intellectual work, and then link >> to different expressions (performances/recordings) records? > > Well, you were fortunate enough to miss the ten years of discussions > of how > to do this in MARC ;-). We ended up not doing it. I can see your point. But while it presents problems to have these kinds of links across records, is it not possible to establish this relationship -- between a work and its expression -- within a record? I have a sense this relates to my earlier questions about performances. Can we distinguish in a MODS record between a play written by Shakespeare, and a specific performance of that play? Bruce