Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2003 11:10:28 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Citation details
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 10:04 AM, Suzanne Pilsk wrote: > I need my scientists to be able to cite the digitized version , > reference > the old physical piece and let everyone know that it is part of the > giant > monographic set. Ah, here's the missing piece of information I was looking for. So you are indeed interested in citation as I meaning it. Yeah, so they need to cite an individual digital record, which (I *think*) needs to use <relatedItem> to tie to both the original physical record, AND to place these records within the hierarchy of the collection. So, yes, you need to break these up, and your scientists ought to only ever reference one object at a time. BTW, my whole interest in all of this is a way to couple MODS with a modified version of the citestylex formatting DTD. Files defined with this spec tell a formatting engine how to assemble formatted references from the raw data. The DTD is part of the RefDB project: http://refdb.sourceforge.net The author is currently evaluating moving his data model to MODS. But the big goal is to have these files be usable in any application that chooses to support them. Bruce