Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:28:06 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: PDF Metadata
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:51:29 -0000, "Hammond, Tony" <[log in to unmask]> said: > I too would be very interested in this. It seems at first glance that NPG > (and other science publisher) RSS 1.0 feeds (being RDF) could be mapped > to MODS and then to MARC XML. Why MARC XML? In any case, I just looked at PRISM again and there's one problem from my standpoint as someone interested in metadata rich enough to be suitable for citation formatting. For that, it's essential to be able to clearly identify and extract different name parts (family, given, initials, etc) and titles/subtitles. Titles aren't too difficult: <xsl:template match="dc:title"> <titleInfo> <xsl:choose> <xsl:when test="contains(., ':')"> <title> <xsl:value-of select="substring-before(., ': ')"/> </title> <subTitle> <xsl:value-of select="substring-after(., ': ')"/> </subTitle> </xsl:when> <xsl:otherwise> <title> <xsl:value-of select="."/> </title> </xsl:otherwise> </xsl:choose> </titleInfo> </xsl:template> However, I don't know how to reliably parse this essential piece of information: <dc:creator>Naoyuki Nakagawa</dc:creator> <dc:creator>Akira Ohtomo</dc:creator> <dc:creator>John L Grazul</dc:creator> <dc:creator>Harold Y Hwang</dc:creator> Tony, I see your name on the PRISM spec. Is there not something you guys can do to address the name issue? PRISM is 95% of the way towards being suitable for citation processing. Why not make it 100%? (Aside: yes, I know this gets back to the data problem, but if we don't provide a framework for improved metadata, users will endure perpetual pain.) Also, I think it's important to be able to include classification information in the records; what you call prism:category. Again, it's essential for citation processing. I'd almost say it should be required. In my XSLT stylesheets, I've taken to using a multi-level classification scheme based both on the structure, as well as the genre terms within that structure. So, I have classes like "part-InSerial", and then within that get reference types like "article-academic_journal" and "article-newspaper". Bruce