Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:55:42 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: name parsing and xslt 2
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Dec 20, 2003, at 12:55 PM, Karen Coyle wrote: > You'll find it at: > > http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdmain.html > > There are plenty of examples that cover all kinds of common and obscure > cases. OK, I see now. So there are specific delimiters in MARC that go beyond a generic comma. I guess my question then becomes, what is the logic that gets from MARC to MARCXML to MODS (which is ultimately what I'm interested in)? In this example: 100 1#$aChurchill, Winston,$cSir,$d1874-1965. ...would this end up as so in MODS? <name type="personal"> <namePart type="termOfAddress">Sir</namePart> <namePart>Churchill, Winston</namePart> </name> Also, I wonder if there ought to be support in MODS for "numeration"? I'm just trying to understand how to get names like the following properly coded to they can be reliably formatted for citation/bibliographies: Dr. Jennifer Jones Jane Smith Jr. John Q. Whoever III Baron von Hausman The first is easy. The other less so. Bruce