Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:10:36 -0800
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MODS to Dublin Core mapping stylesheet and documentation
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

Paul, I feel remiss because I promised to look at these when you sent them out a while back, and never did. In any case, here are a few comments and questions. I assume that you are basing your translation on a set of records that have certain characteristics, so some of my comments may not apply to your set. If so, just apply the "ignore" default ;-). //mods/titleInfo/title - you say that you will catch and append any repeating subtitles. In fact, both title and subtitle can repeat, and there's no theoretical reason why subtitle would be more likely to repeat than title. So it would appear that you have to loop for everything in the titleInfo block, but taking them in order. (This includes elements you haven't mentioned here, like nonSort, but maybe you don't get those.) //mods/recordInfo/recordContentSource This is derived from the 040 -- you have it under Creator, but if it's used like the 040 it's the creator of the metadata record, not the creator of the resource. I presume you wouldn't want to mix those up in the same field. //mods/subject/name<description> ? what's description mean here? //mods/relatedItem There are lots of sub-elements here...Do you just take them in order? also, related to DCTerms:isPartOf... I would include the "host" related item as well as series in "isPartOf". DCTerms:Created is listed on the DC pages as "Date of creation of the resource" -- //mods/recordInfo/recordCreationDate is date of creation of the metadata record. (008 00-05) Happy Holidays, kc