Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:49:19 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Andrew E Switala <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: A compendium of MODS questions
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Conceptually, the level of government that produced the publication seems to belong in <originInfo>, but the controlled lists for <placeTerm>, understandably, don't go all the way down to the municipal level. Could the higher levels be designated by a code from one of the authoritative lists, with a <placeTerm type="text"> following, if necessary, to indicate a finer division? -----Original Message----- From: [log in to unmask] Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 13:18 To: <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [MODS] A compendium of MODS questions On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Marie Louise Ayres wrote: > Would you use > > <genre authority="marc">government publication</genre> > > But in this case, there is no way to indicate the jurisdictonal level. This > is an issue for us as we are using MODS and our new Harvester system to pass > metadata bout online government publications through to the NBD. I had suggested earlier that we include the values from 008/28, but hadn't decided whether to mix them with the MARC genre list (which means they will be at a different level of granularity than other terms on that list) or to make a separate identifiable list. Any other thoughts on that?