Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:19:28 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: A compendium of MODS questions
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Dec 9, 2003, at 12:11 AM, Marie-Louise Ayres wrote: > 7. My colleagues in the Australian National Bibliographic Database > wondered > whether any other organisations had raised the needs for a MODS > equivalent > to MARC 008 character position 28 to represent government publications? > Would you use > > <genre authority="marc">government publication</genre> > > But in this case, there is no way to indicate the jurisdictonal level. > This > is an issue for us as we are using MODS and our new Harvester system > to pass > metadata bout online government publications through to the NBD. I had wondered about this too. For example, how to represent the jurisdiction of a court in a legal case (which does have a genre value)? I guess in DC "coverage" could be used to, um, cover this sort of thing, but the equivalent in MODS is handled in the subjects. While maybe a bit awkward, a simple solution might be to allow an attribute there that allows for jurisdiction coding. Bruce