Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:05:07 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: genres and governments records
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Houghton,Andrew wrote: > > > MODS takes too much from MARC-21 with the idea that only its > > controlled lists can be used and they are hard coded into the Schema > > without anyway to use alternate controlled lists, without directly > > modifying the XML Schema. > > I don't see how the MARC list is hard-coded in the schema. The larger > problem is there is NO control (e.g. at the level of validation) in > reality, despite the superficial appearance that there is. We would expect another stylesheet to do anything beyond simple schema validation. Or it would be up to the particular system in which it is implemented. > > So I will reiterate the direction that I would like to see MODS move > > towards: controlled lists in MODS should be URI based or use a URI for > > the "controlling authority" along with the term from the controlled > > list, so that other metadata communities can plug in their own > > controlled > > lists. > > So how would you propose to do that? With namespaces? With just a uri > on the genre element? See my earlier message about what to do with the genre element. Rebecca > Bruce >