Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:11:14 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: genres and governments records
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

MODS <genre> allows for values from any list (or no list) and that list is identified in the authority attribute. The authority attribute tells you to go to a list of source codes to identify the list from which the value was taken. This is an LC maintained list and we add source codes to it all the time upon request. The MARC genre list is one of the many possible sources for genre values. We plan to keep that in sync with the various elements in MARC that express genre. Thus, we wouldn't keep adding to the MARC genre list unless we also added to MARC. You can also use genre without specifying any authority list, but then the terms would essentially be uncontrolled. Since LC is establishing URIs for its metadata elements, there will be a URI for the list itself, as well as a URI for each value on the list. I think it is a good idea to allow for a URI as a value for authority. With the current schema, this would validate, but the note under xsd:documentation says to use the list of source codes specified. So we are changing that note to say that the value of authority could be taken from the source code list or it could be a URI. The value of the genre element can also be a URI if the list itself allows for them (no need to change anything in the current schema for this). Rebecca On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Houghton,Andrew wrote: > > From: Bruce D'Arcus [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > > Subject: Re: [MODS] genres and governments records > > > > On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 10:27 AM, Karen Coyle wrote: > > > > If we want the genre element in MODS to include any genre from any > > metadata, then it should be a text field, not a controlled list. A > > controlled list only makes sense if you have some reason to keep > > control, i.e. there's some particular meaning to the list that you don't > > want to see violated. > > This was one of my complaints about MODS, over a year ago, and indicated > on this list in several messages. MODS takes too much from MARC-21 with > the idea that only its controlled lists can be used and they are hard > coded into the Schema without anyway to use alternate controlled lists, > without directly modifying the XML Schema. Many metadata communities will > just not use MARC-21 code lists since they have their own and thus will > create their own metadata formats rather than reusing MODS. > > So I will reiterate the direction that I would like to see MODS move > towards: controlled lists in MODS should be URI based or use a URI for > the "controlling authority" along with the term from the controlled > list, so that other metadata communities can plug in their own controlled > lists. Doing that would still be in alignment with CORES work that LC has > already undertaken. > > > Andy. >