Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:56:12 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: genres and governments records
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

As I suggested before, we could establish a list of values for citations to be used in MODS <genre> if Bruce wants to provide them. Alternatively we might consider the genres listed in the proposed OpenURL standard (we would establish as a source to be used with MODS genre and perhaps MARC 655). They are: Journal Issue Article Conference Proceeding Preprint Book Book item Report Document Dissertation Patent For further information see: http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/StandardDocuments/KEV_Guidelines-20031112.pdf (which is listed at http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/Standard.htm) (Thanks to Caroline Arms at LC for bringing this to my attention.) Rebecca On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:51 PM, Karen Coyle wrote: > > > The "academic journal" is one of those for me > > -- as far as I'm concerned a journal is a journal, and I can't figure > > out how you'd draw the line between academic and non-academic > > IIRC, this was Rebecca's suggestion way back, and probably comes out of > an attempt to distinguish it from, say, a "legal journal" or maybe a > personal journal. > > I don't much care myself. I'm just looking for an unambiguous way to > make clear that a record represents a journal article. > > Let's see, there are officially-sanctioned genre values for book and > newspaper, so I can clearly code also newspaper articles and book > chapter. > > There's nothing equivalent for either magazine or journal articles. > While recognizing your genres-are-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder point, it > seems to me these are more "useful" than, for example, "font" or > "game." > > Bruce >